Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

PAL then, PAL now

I sort of "grew up" with Philippine Airlines (PAL).

My mom was a flight attendant during what they refer to as the "Toda Era" (in reference to SeƱor Benigno Toda, PAL owner during the 60's to mid 70's). PAL then, is very different from the PAL that people know now.

Flight attendants from before went through a relatively stringent screening, training and re-training process. Applicants had their family background and educational attainment thoroughly checked. Only if they satisfactorily pass these do they become eligible for training. There are numerous aspects in a training course and flight attendant training has its own regimen. Safety training was handled by the Red Cross while personality development was handled by the venerable Chona Recto Kasten. Now, that says a lot about the quality of training the flight attendants received. Re-training was conducted by senior crew members.

Obviously, PAL does not do the type of screening done in the Toda Era. AND THIS SPELLS THE DIFFERENCE IN THEIR IN-FLIGHT SERVICE.

Let me give a few examples:

1) On a PR 106 flight last 10 November 2009, the pre-departure announcement was made as such: " Philippine Airlines welcomes you on board PR flight 318 bound for Hong Kong ... " What?!?! And perhaps forgetting that she was still holding the PA system, she said: "Ay mali, ano ba yan!"

2) On a flight to Los Angeles, the Purser announced that: "This is your Flight Purser Beth Lopez ... ". When I had to complain about the non-working in-flight media, I called the attention of the flight attendant. When she cannot give me a proper explanation, I asked to speak with this Beth Lopez. Did she approach me? No. It was a good thing I was able to figure out (on my own) what was wrong with the in-flight media as I did not see this Beth Lopez until after we landed in LAX.

3) On a flight from Cebu, I asked for a glass of water. The flight steward handed the glass of water to the woman seated beside me (who was so busy with her rosary) and even as she expressed surprise that the steward gave her water which she did not ask for, the steward said she asked for it and therefore was giving it to her. When I said that I was the one who asked for water and could he also therefore give me some, he replied: "Ay gusto mo rin? Sandali lang ha?".

What does this tell us? That these flight attendants lack not only the qualifications, but, more importantly, the "graciousness" that well-mannered, well-educated and well-bred men and women naturally possess.

In the name of cost-cutting and profitability, it is understandable that PAL may opt to hire not-so-gracious personnel. But then again, the essence of SERVICE should be hammered down on these people during training. If the trainees do not seem to get the idea, then I believe they should not be certified at all.

Until and unless PAL makes this a policy, we will just have to contend with these bitches and jerks, if and when we choose to fly PAL. PAL is the country's flag carrier ... and for Filipinos (for some reason, the crew is nicer to foreign passengers) to have to deal with this is as sad as it is upsetting.

Sayang.

No comments:

Post a Comment